FAQs About Phoenix Children’s Fetal Care Center Telemedicine
Fetal Care Center
What Is Telemedicine?
The World Health Organization describes telemedicine as “healing from a distance.” It is using technology to connect the doctor and patient remotely – when they are not in the same room together. Think of it as a virtual visit.
The Fetal Care Center’s telemedicine services makes it possible for Phoenix Children’s pediatric specialists, neonatologists, obstetricians (OB) and/or maternal-fetal medicine providers to meet with you wherever you are, simply by using a computer or smartphone.
How Does Telemedicine Work?
The Fetal Care Center uses Zoom to connect your fetal care team with you on your personal device like your computer, tablet or smart phone. During your virtual visit, you will have a conversation with your team of providers from any place you choose – as long as you have internet access.
While in the meeting with your healthcare team, remember to stay in range of the camera and microphone on your device, so your provider can see and hear you on the computer screen.
Who Should Use Telemedicine?
Our Fetal Care Center telemedicine capabilities provide you and your family access to our nationally ranked pediatric specialists and specialty programs from your home or in your community provider's office. Telemedicine is a great option if you:
- Live in a remote area and need the expertise and care of Phoenix Children’s pediatric specialists
- Need regular follow-up with Phoenix Children’s specialists but can’t travel to one of our locations as often as needed
- Have a busy work schedule and it is hard to get time off for appointments
- Are homebound or have limited transportation
What Equipment Do I Need to Use Telemedicine?
To connect with your fetal care team for a telemedicine visit, you will need the following:
- Computer, tablet or smartphone with camera
- Internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Zoom application
You will need to download the Zoom application onto your computer, tablet or smartphone. Access the application.
Note: A home Wi-Fi or unlimited cellular data plan is recommended as the system uses cellular data. If you do not have these plans, please let your Fetal Care Center care coordinator know.
Who Will Be Included in my Telemedicine Visit?
Your telemedicine visit is a video call using the Zoom application, which allows for a number of people to join the call at the same time from wherever they are. Your telemedicine visit will include several members of your fetal care team who will join the visit from a private and secure location.
Your Fetal Care Center nurse care coordinator will let you know who will be attending your telemedicine visit. Your fetal care team may include:
- Nurse care coordinator
- Maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) provider
- Pediatric and fetal care specialist
- Social worker
You can also invite your own guest, such as a friend or family member, to join you.
What Will We Do on my Telemedicine Visit?
Your telemedicine visit provides you a chance to talk to your care team and ask questions. Topics might include:
- Your baby’s diagnosis and condition
- Your baby's growth and development
- Explanation of fetal imaging tests, like fetal ultrasounds, fetal MRI and echocardiography (heart ultrasound)
- Your plan of care and plan for your baby’s delivery
- Next steps in the care you and your baby may need after delivery
- Ongoing support for you and your baby
How Do I Schedule My Telemedicine Visit?
Your Phoenix Children’s Fetal Care Center care coordinator will schedule your telemedicine visit based on conversations with you, your OB or other members of your fetal care team.
She will send you an email inviting you to your telemedicine visit. All of the information you need about your visit will be included in the email, like the time of your visit and a link to join the visit from your device. You will also receive a password. When it’s time for your appointment, just click on the link and enter the password listed to join the video call.
How Should I Prepare for My Telemedicine Visit?
Here are a few key things to do ahead of your virtual visit to help you get ready:
- Check with your insurance plan or Phoenix Children’s Preaccess team about payment of your telemedicine visit.
- Download the Zoom app to your computer, tablet or smartphone. Test it out to make sure it works.
- Make a list of questions for your fetal care team, including your OB and the Phoenix Children’s pediatric specialists included in your visit.
- Find a quiet and comfortable space with a door that can be closed to give you privacy for your call.
- Make sure your device is fully charged or plugged into power for your visit.
- Feel free to invite a friend or family member to join you during your visit.
Will My Insurance Cover Telemedicine?
Generally, yes. Fetal Care Center telemedicine visits are billed as a Phoenix Children’s specialist consultation for your prenatal care.
Your nurse coordinator and Phoenix Children’s Pre-access Department can work with you and your insurance plan to determine coverage and any cost associated with the visit.
Is My Privacy Protected?
Yes. Your information is shared only with your fetal care team and anyone you invite to join your telemedicine visit. In addition, the Zoom application requires a password to join a video call. Only those with a password will be able to join and hear the call.
Why Choose Phoenix Children’s Fetal Care Center Telemedicine?
Phoenix Children’s Fetal Care Center telemedicine services gives you access to our nationally ranked pediatric specialists for the care you and your baby need – wherever you are.
With the Fetal Care Center, you have a dedicated nurse care coordinator to make you and your baby’s care as smooth and easy as possible. They will set up timely visits with your fetal care team to develop and follow a plan of care for you and your baby.
For more information about our Fetal Care Center telemedicine services, please call 602-933-4411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here for you.