Who We Are
Child Life Program
We know it's important for kids to be kids, even when they're in the hospital. Our Child Life program, available in all inpatient departments, helps make a child’s hospital stay a little easier.
Our own research has shown children exposed to a Child Life program experienced less emotional stress, displayed more effective coping and showed a greater understanding of the hospital experience. We help our patients prepare for procedures, develop coping strategies and find ways to make medicine fun—all while helping to reduce children's anxieties and support healing during hospitalization and illness.
Child Life can also help when:
- Your child needs help understanding the hospital
- A brother or sister is upset about a sibling's hospitalization
- You're looking for play and activity ideas
- You need information about your child's development
- You need help with child-friendly explanations of hospital experiences
The Child Life team includes:
- 30 Child Life specialists
- 16 Child Life assistants
- Seven full-time school staff
Child Life assistants supervise all playrooms and plan crafts and other special activities. All playrooms are open to healthy brothers and sisters, accompanied by an adult. Each playroom is open Monday through Friday.