Articles and Updates from Phoenix Children's
As the COVID-19 crisis continues, parents are struggling to ensure their kids are getting enough physical activity. School closures meant an abrupt end to physical education and recess. Sports practices, dance classes and other activities were canceled, too.
As the country reopens, some summer camps and organized sports are resuming in-person activity, but many parents are unsure whether it’s safe to send their children. Meanwhile, with temperatures climbing in Arizona, it’s too hot to run and play outdoors for any length of time.
How can parents make sure their kids get enough physical activity at home – especially if they’re trying to work at the same time? We’ve provided a few fun resources to help your kids get the exercise they need to stay healthy and happy (for their sake and yours)!
- KIDZ BOP Daily Dance Break: Do your kids love music? The KIDZ BOP Daily Dance Break is a fun way for kids to move and sing along to contemporary hits. Check out their YouTube channel’s live stream every weekday at noon Arizona time (3 PM Eastern). BONUS: Each dance break runs about 60 minutes.
- Cosmic Kids: British yoga instructor Jaime Amor combines simple yoga moves and story-telling with free workouts on the Cosmic Kids website and YouTube channel, along with additional resources on the subscription-based app.
- Beachbody Kids: Create a free account to access a variety of free workouts on Beachbody Kids, where celebrity trainers lead children in a variety of strength, flexibility and dance exercises. (Parents, you can get 14 days free right now if you want to try Beachbody yourself!)
- Miss Nina: Toddlers and preschoolers will love the sing- and move-along videos on Miss Nina’s YouTube page.
- GoNoodle: This company has created a free resource that’s perfect for kids stuck at home. GoNoodle: Good Energy at Home offers videos and other fun resources via apps on web, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire and Roku.
- Peloton: Here’s an option for kids and parents to work out together. Peloton is offering 30 days free online and on the app – including Fit Family classes for ages 5 and up. Workouts range from 5-20 minutes and include a Fit Family Brain Break option. Learn more about adult and family classes here.