Orthopedic Injury Care During COVID-19
Kids will be kids and sometimes being a kid means there’s an occasional “oops” like falling off a bike or scooter or miscalculating a jump on a trampoline. Normally, parents know they can take kids to Phoenix Children’s in those situations but with the current COVID-19 landscape, things can get a little confusing. One thing’s for sure and that is, during this time patient safety is our top priority at Phoenix Children’s Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. It’s our goal to limit patient exposure and utilize virtual visits whenever possible. So for those falls and miss-jumps that require an in-person urgent orthopedic appointment including a physical examination and an x-ray to make a diagnosis, we’ve got you covered and safe. We’re taking the following precautions to keep our patients and families safe:
- New patient appointments will be reviewed by a physician assistant to determine if the patient can be seen virtually or if they require an in-person visit.
- Extra time has been added between each patient appointment to allow for proper social distancing.
- All ancillary waiting rooms have been closed. You will wait in a private room until your x-ray and casting needs are met.
- We have limited the amount of people who can attend a patient’s visit to one.
- All nonessential staff are working from home.
Additionally, we are not offering COVID-19 testing at our Urgent Care satellite facilities in order to better serve families bringing in children for an injury visit vs. kids who may be experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. Finally, all of our Urgent Care locations are staffed by pediatric-trained physicians who also have direct access to review fractures with pediatric orthopedic specialists.
We know not all orthopedic needs can be met via phone or video. Our promise to patients and their families is to keep them safe and provide the best pediatric orthopedic care during this difficult time. Phoenix Children’s Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine remains open and 100% for children.