Spina Bifida Clinic
If your child has spina bifida, you want the best possible care from experts who treat this condition. At Phoenix Children’s, our team of neurosurgeons, pediatric specialists and pediatricians are ready to help.
Our Spina Bifida Clinic coordinator is available to work with you and your family as you seek care from our clinic. They can assist with coordinating the care you need, helping your family find the right resources and much more. To make an appointment, please call 602-933-3517.
What to Expect at Your First Visit
When you call for an appointment with us, your care and processes may look like this:
- Your child may have imaging or labs done prior to your first appointment at the clinic, so your doctor can talk with you about the results. Imaging may include an X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of your child’s head and spine, and an ultrasound of your child’s bladder and kidneys. Labs may be drawn to evaluate kidney and bone health.
- When you arrive for your visit, our team will greet you and bring you to a room where all your child’s providers will come to visit for streamlined care. You’ll have a chance to talk about concerns such as walking and mobility, bowel and bladder health, and anything else on your mind.
- You’ll meet with a complex care pediatrician, neurosurgeon, urologist, orthopedic surgeon, pediatric surgeon/bowel management specialist, nephrologist, psychologist, nutritionist, wound care provider, and physical and occupational therapists. Orthotic vendors are typically present, as well as a social worker if needed.
- When available, our child life specialists will entertain and comfort your child during any down time.
- At the end of your visit with our team, you will have a chance to get something to eat. You may be able to meet some other parents of children with spina bifida, in addition to volunteers from the local support group.
Your first visit with us will give you the confidence you need to get your child the best possible care, now and in the future. You’ll have a plan for anything that needs to be done to optimize your child’s care, and we will share that plan with your primary pediatrician.
- Emily Center – Offers access to a free, public, health information library located at Phoenix Children’s. The library is staffed with highly skilled nurses to conduct individualized research for any family member.
- Want a Second Opinion? – Chat, call or complete this form to request a second opinion appointment.
- Your Child's Hospital Stay – Learn more about our campus services and what you can do to prepare for your visit.