Reading Program & Board Preparation
Pediatric Residency Program
Reading and retaining information to care for patients and prepare for boards is a part of our program from the first day.
- Residents receive a complimentary American Academy of Pediatrics membership with access to Pediatrics in Review articles, PREP questions, clinical practice guidelines, patient educational materials and many other resources.
- Maintenance of education: This structured reading program, created by our residents, offers specialty-specific review articles aligned with the block conferences, discussion questions and board review questions to be completed quarterly. They may be done individually or as a group, with an overall goal to create a repository of learning materials and create life-long reading habits.
- Medical library: Our residents are fortunate to have access to three medical libraries and two highly-skilled librarians from Phoenix Children's and Valleywise Health Medical Center, and the University of Arizona College of Medicine. The librarians are knowledgeable about the multitude of online and print reference books, journals and apps available to make answering our clinical and research questions easier.
- In-training exams: this multiple-choice exam is administered annually in July and results are used to track individual resident progress, predict board pass rate and help our program determine gaps in our educational offerings.
- Board Prep Resources: Our interns all receive MedStudy and have access to a variety of board prep materials. We also offer small group study sessions for third-years as well as the MedStudy question bank. Board review courses may be reimbursed from book money.